Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Are you a commuter? Join the club

The average Canadian spends more than an hour a day (or 12 full days a year) trekking to and from work. Are you one of them? I am, and I know some people say I'm crazy. However, there are several reasons why suburbanites might make the long haul every day: 1. There tend to be more corporate or "head office" opportunities 2. Salaries are generally higher to balance off the cost of living in urban centres 3. Depending on your role, you may need to be closer to the so-called action re: financial or fashion districts 4. And lastly, you may have simply been transferred. But no matter what your reason, commuting has its ups and downs. Personally, I enjoy the time alone on the train to catch up on some work without interruptions, or simply to chill out and close my eyes. On the down side, delays are inevitable and unpredictable. Whether they are weather-related, transit-related, or human-error-related -- delays can add unwanted stress to your life. Like today for example, it took me 3 1/2 hours to get to my office this morning (no kidding), but I will spare you the ugly details. My daily commute involves driving to the train station, taking the train an hour, then the subway uptown. Yep, there are good days and bad, but luckily I've made the appropriate adjustments at home to accommodate. Moral of my story? Whether you commute or not, you've got to love what you do for a living to make it worthwhile. Here's to a better trip tomorrow! ~ KLB

No comments:

Post a Comment